NCAA Division II Financial Aid Overview
NCAA Division II Principle Governing Financial Aid (2.13)
A student-athlete may receive athletically related financial aid administered by the institution without violating the principle of amateurism, provided the amount does not exceed the cost of education authorized by the Association; however, such aid as defined by the Association shall not exceed the cost of attendance as published by each institution. Any other financial assistance, except that received from one upon whom the student-athlete is naturally or legally dependent, shall be prohibited unless specifically authorized by the Association. (Revised: 1/9/96)
IMPORTANT DATES FOR THE RENEWAL OF FINANCIAL AID
CSU-Pueblo Athletic Department Policy
Renewals and Non-Renewals/Reductions Complete and turned in to Compliance Coordinator by Last Day of Finals.
Exception for Spring Sports Still in Competition: June 1.
NCAA Division II Bylaw 220.127.116.11
Notice sent to student-athletes by July 1.
Student-Athletes may appeal reduction/non-renewal decisions by August 1.
STATUS CHANGE FORM
Use this form for all dismissals, withdrawals, reductions or cancellations of athletics aid. This form goes directly to the compliance coordinator, who then sends copies to appropriate members of the compliance team for processing.
The status change form MUST be used for every student-athlete who either – leaves a program prior to graduation or completing his/her eligibility OR has his/her athletics aid reduced or canceled from one year to the next.
YOU STILL MUST FILL OUT A GIA AGREEMENT FORM FOR ALL RENEWALS AND REDUCTIONS BY MAY 1.
FINANCIAL AID Policies and Procedures
Canceling of Financial Aid (NCAA Division II Bylaw 18.104.22.168)
Institutional financial aid based in any degree on athletics ability may be reduced or canceled during the period of the award, if the recipient: (Revised: 1/11/94, 1/10/95)
(a) Renders himself or herself ineligible for intercollegiate competition;
(b) Fraudulently misrepresents any information on an application, letter of intent or financial aid agreement (see Bylaw 22.214.171.124.1);
(c) Engages in serious misconduct warranting substantial disciplinary penalty (see Bylaw 126.96.36.199.2); or
(d) Voluntarily withdraws from a sport at any time for personal reasons; however, the recipient’s financial aid may not be awarded to another student-athlete in the term in which the aid was reduced or canceled. Further, if the financial aid is canceled before a regular academic term (e.g., preseason practice period), the aid may not be provided to another student-athlete during the ensuing academic term. (Revised: 1/10/92, 1/11/94, 1/10/95, 1/9/96, 1/12/04)
Increase Permitted (NCAA Division II Bylaw 188.8.131.52)
Institutional financial aid may be increased for any reason prior to the commencement of the period of the award. Once the period of the award begins, institutional financial aid may only be increased if the institution can demonstrate that such an increase is unrelated in any manner to an athletics reason (see Bylaw 184.108.40.206). (Adopted: 1/11/94, Revised: 1/12/04)
Reduction or Cancellation Not Permitted (NCAA Division II Bylaw 220.127.116.11)
Institutional financial aid based in any degree on athletics ability may not be increased, decreased or canceled during the period of its award: (Revised: 1/11/94)
(a) On the basis of a student’s athletics ability, performance or contribution to a team’s success;
(b) Because of an injury that prevents the recipient from participating in athletics; or
(c) For any other athletics reason.
To RENEW aid
1. Coach confirms scholarship monies available and determines amount to be awarded to each returning SA.
2. Coach fills out the GIA Offer Form and routes it for appropriate signatures (Head Coach, Athletic Director and Financial Aid). SA is the LAST person to sign it.
3. When all signatures have been obtained, GIA Offer is returned to Compliance Coordinator for the student-athlete file. Compliance Coordinator will then forward appropriate documentation to financial services.
THIS PROCESS MUST BE COMPLETE BY JUNE 1.
For NON-RENEWALS and REDUCTIONS
To reduce/cancel aid:
1. Head Coach meets with Athletic Director to discuss the particulars of why aid is being reduced for each individual student-athlete.
2. If the student-athlete is withdrawing voluntarily (and available to do so), there is a form letter that he/she should fill out and sign.
3. For any reduction/canceling of aid not related to the end of eligibility, fill out a Status Change Form, and all sections applicable therein.
4. Status Change Form is returned to Compliance Coordinator, who then routes to appropriate members of Compliance Team for execution.
5. The SA can appeal the decision (Before August 1) to the CSU-Pueblo’s Financial Aid Authority, or a non-athletics committee designated by the authority, which will have the sole decision on whether to grant the appeal.
MUST BE COMPLETE (EXCEPT PENDING APPEALS) BY MAY 1.