PUEBLO, Colo. (November 17, 2016) – The No. 20 ranked Colorado State University-Pueblo Women's Basketball will make its 2016-17 home debut Friday at 5 p.m. when they host the University of Alaska Fairbanks in the 33rd Annual Al Kaly Shrine Classic. The Pack will also play Tarleton State University Saturday at 3 p.m. as part of the tournament held at Massari Arena.
The Pack has started the season 2-0 after defeating Texas A&M University Commerce, 81-58 in their season opener. CSU-Pueblo followed it up with a 65-61 victory over defending D-II National Champion Lubbock Christian University.
Thunder Wolves at a Glance:
- CSU-Pueblo is ranked No .20 in the NCAA D-II SIDA poll. The Pack was ranked in this poll from Dec. 2, 2015 - Jan. 6, 2016 reaching as high as No. 17.
- Molly Rohrer (So., Greenwood Village, Colo.) earned the first RMAC Offensive Player of the Week Award of the 2016-17 season, averaging 16.0 points and 8.5 rebounds per game. Rohrer made 65 percent of her shots from the field in her first two games (13-for-20). She also sank each of her six free throw attempts. After earning RMAC Defensive Player of the Week honors twice as a freshman, Rohrer received her first Offensive Player of the Week Award.
- Entering the weekend, CSU-Pueblo ranks fifth in free throw percentage. The Pack has made 87.5 percent of their attempts from the charity stripe (35-for-40). In addition to Rohrer, Tuileisu Anderson (Jr., Vancouver, Wash.), 10-for-10, and Angie Moore (Sr., Katy, Texas), 2-for-2, are still perfect from the stripe. Taylor Long (Jr., Moreno Valley, Calif.) and Jaszymn Johnson, (Sr., Denver, Colo.) are both shooting above 80 percent.
-The Pack ranks 22nd in the nation in rebounding margin. CSU-Pueblo grabbed an average of 15 boards per game more than their opponents. After a 50 rebound performance against the Lions, the Pack outrebounded Lubbock Christian 45-24.
- Junior Katie Cunningham (Aurora, Colo.) ranks in the RMAC's top five in three separate categories. Cunningham stands third in assists per game (5.0), fourth in rebounds per game (10.0), and fourth in steals per game (2.5). Cunningham had 13 rebounds against LCU.
-Johnson has averaged 14.5 points per game coming off the bench, 12th most in the RMAC. Her 3.0 three-pointers per game ranks second in the conference. She has hit 54.5 percent of her shots from downtown.
- Lauren Heyn (So., Loomis, Calif.) ranks sixth in the RMAC with 1.5 blocks per game. Heyn blocked a game-tying attempt from Lubbock Christian with seven seconds left in the Pack's win over the Lady Chaps. The sophomore also ranks sixth in the RMAC with 9.0 rebounds per game.
- CSU-Pueblo ranks second in the RMAC with 73.0 points per game. They also stand second in scoring margin (13.0), 3-point percentage (40.4), rebounds per game (47.5), and assists (17.0).
- The ThunderWolves lead the conference in offensive rebounding percentage, grabbing 45.2 percent of their misses. The Pack ranks 30th in the country with 47.5 rebounds per game.
- The Pack has played Alaska Fairbanks only once. CSU-Pueblo beat the Nanooks 80-71, Nov. 30, 2001. The ThunderWolves and Tarleton State have met just one time too. CSU-Pueblo lost to the TexAnns 76-72, back on Nov. 19, 2005.
Tarleton enters the weekend 0-2, while Alaska Fairbanks brings a 2-0 record into the weekend. Both teams will also compete against Western State Colorado University as part of the 33rd Annual Al Kaly Shrine Classic. CSU-Pueblo men's basketball will play University of Colorado Colorado Springs at 7 p.m. Friday at Massari Arena Click here for a complete tournament schedule.
- 30 –
As a member of the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference, Colorado State University – Pueblo competes in 22 varsity sports in NCAA Division II intercollegiate athletics