PUEBLO, Colo. (November 23, 2016) – The No.8/17 ranked Colorado State University-Pueblo Women's Basketball team will start a new Black Friday tradition when they host the Quality Inn & Suites Thanksgiving Classic at Massari Arena this weekend. CSU-Pueblo will play Morningside College Friday at 7 p.m. and Wayland Baptist University at 5 p.m. in the first ever Quality Inn & Suites Thanksgiving Classic.
The "Starting Five" - CSU-Pueblo's Top Storylines
- With a 4-0 record, CSU-Pueblo shares the lead in the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference. The Pack was ranked for the first time in Women's Basketball Coaches Association top 25 poll, making their debut at No.17. The ThunderWolves also jumped from No. 20 to No. 8 in the NCAA DII SIDA poll, which marks their highest ranking in program history in any poll.
- Junior Tuileisu Anderson (Vancouver, Wash.) earned the RMAC Offensive Player of the Week award with 27.0 points per game last week in the Al Kaly Shrine Classic. Anderson received MVP honors in the Al Kaly Shrine Classic for her efforts. This was the fourth time Anderson took home RMAC Player of the Week honors, her second offensive award.
- Molly Rohrer (So., Greenwood Village, Colo.) nabbed RMAC Defensive Player of the Week accolades to complete the Pack sweep of RMAC's awards. Rohrer has claimed a RMAC Player of the Week Award in consecutive weeks to start the season. She earned RMAC Offensive Player of the Week honors after week one.
- CSU-Pueblo ranks fourth in the nation with an 84.3 free throw percentage. Five Pack players stand in the top 10 in the RMAC in free throw percentage. Senior Angie Moore (Katy, Texas) has made all five of her free throw attempts. Taylor Long (Jr., Moreno Valley, Calif.) ranks third in the conference with a 90.9 free throw percentage. Anderson, Rohrer, Jaszymn Johnson (Sr., Denver, Colo.) Katie Cunningham (Jr., Aurora, Colo.) all shoot above 85 percent at the line.
- The Pack leads the RMAC in scoring, averaging 78.2 points per game. This ranks CSU-Pueblo 42nd in the nation. The ThunderWolves average 7.4 points per game more than any other RMAC team.
- Anderson tops the RMAC scoring leaders list with 20.3 points per game. She also averages a conference best 3.8 3-pointers made per game, over one trey better than anyone else in the RMAC. Anderson made 10 three pointers last week.
- Cunningham leads the RMAC in rebounding, pulling down 10.0 rebounds per game. The Iowa Western Community College transfer ranks third in the RMAC with 2.5 steals per game and 4.8 assists per game. She also averages the sixth highest minutes per game total (34.0).
- Rohrer holds first place in the RMAC with 2.5 blocks per game. She ranks fifth in the conference with a .615 field goal percentage. Rohrer's 15.5 points per game places her eight. She ranks 10th in the conference with 7.8 rebounds per game.
- The Pack leads the conference with 16.5 assists per game. CSU-Pueblo averages a conference best 4.5 blocks per game.
- CSU-Pueblo grabs 11.7 rebounds per game more than their opponents, the second highest rebounding margin in the RMAC. The Pack also leads the conference in offensive rebounding percentage, grabbing 43.5 percent of their misses.
The Thanksgiving Classic will wrap up a four-game homestand for the Pack. University of Colorado Colorado Springs will also compete at the Thanksgiving Classic playing Wayland Baptist Friday and Morningside Saturday before the Pack's game.
- 30 –
As a member of the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference, Colorado State University – Pueblo competes in 22 varsity sports in NCAA Division II intercollegiate athletics