PUEBLO, Colo. (September 9, 2014) ~ After posting a 2-2 record at the Midwestern State-Hampton Inn-vitational last weekend, the Colorado State University-Pueblo volleyball squad returns home this evening for its 2014 home opener. The ThunderWolves welcome Colorado College to Massari Arena for a 7 p.m. contest.
CSU-Pueblo News and Notes:
- The ThunderWolves dropped their first two matches at the Midwestern State-Hampton Inn-vitational last Friday, falling in five sets to both Midwestern State University and Cameron University.
- CSU-Pueblo bounced back with to win both contests on Saturday, knocking off Arkansas Tech University and Southwestern Oklahoma State University by identical 3-1 tallies.
- Sophomore Mariangel Perez (Catia La Mar, Venezuela) was named to the all-tournament team after leading the Pack with 58 kills during the four contests. Perez tallied double-doubles in all four matches.
- Jordan Bruere (Jr., Rio Rancho, N.M.) matched Perez in double-doubles with four of her own. The setter posted 72 assists and 50 digs during the tournament.
- Katie Burnett (So., Austin, Texas) paces the ThunderWolves with 4.61 digs per set and 83 digs overall.
- In assists, Alex Sansavera (R-Jr., San Antonio, Texas) has a team-best 96 helpers, averaging 5.33 assists per set.
- CSU-Pueblo has won three consecutive home openers, including a 3-0 shutout of Lindenwood University last season on Sept. 13.
- Last year, the ThunderWolves were a solid 9-5 in Massari Arena.
- In the last meeting between the Pack and Colorado College, the Tigers earned a 3-1 win in Colorado Springs.
- The last time the two schools met in Pueblo the ThunderWolves downed Colorado College in five sets, 3-2.
Scouting the Tigers:
- Colorado College enters tonight's match with an undefeated mark of 8-0. The Tigers have swept every opponent but one, winning 24 of 25 sets this season.
- This will be the Tigers first road match of the year. Last season, Colorado College posted a 21-5 mark in road and neutral site matches.
- Courtney Birkett tops the team in both kills (89) and digs (61), while Sarah Barker has a team-high 255 assists.
CSU-Pueblo will be one of the host sites for this weekend's CSU-Pueblo/UCCS Classic. On Friday, the ThunderWolves will face University of Nebraska-Kearney at 11 a.m. and University of Alaska Fairbanks at 7 p.m. The following day the Pack square off against Lindenwood University at 11 a.m., before wrapping up the tournament versus Pittsburg State University at 7 p.m.