PUEBLO, Colo. (October 9, 2014) – The Colorado State University-Pueblo volleyball team (11-7, 5-4 RMAC) opens its longest stretch of road matches this season with an away contest at Adams State University, Saturday at 7 p.m. in Plachy Hall.
CSU-Pueblo News and Notes
- CSU-Pueblo enters Saturday's matchup with the Grizzlies holding an 11-7 overall record and a 5-4 Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference mark. The 11 victories eclipses last season's win total of 10.
- The ThunderWolves are four-matches above .500 for the second time this season.
- The Pack are currently in fifth place in the RMAC standings.
- The ThunderWolves downed Western State Colorado University, 3-1, Tuesday at Massari Arena. The victory gave the Pack wins in four out of their last five matches.
- The Pack's dominance at the net continued Tuesday, as they tallied a season-high 15 stuffs. CSU-Pueblo has out blocked its opponent in eight out of nine RMAC matches.
- Against the Mountaineers, Morgan Wilkening (Jr., Fleming, Colo.) tallied a career-high 18 kills to go along with 12 digs to complete her fifth double-double of the season.
- Competing in just her second career match, freshman Elena Michalski (Longmont, Colo.) recorded a career-high 12 assists versus Western. Alex Winkler (So., Colorado Springs, Colo.) continued the trend of career highs, registering a new high-water mark of nine blocks.
- The ThunderWolves are 2-1 away from home against RMAC opponents.
- The Grizzlies have won the last seven meetings versus CSU-Pueblo. The Pack's last victory against Adams State came Oct. 28, 2010 in Pueblo. The last time the ThunderWolves earned a win in Alamosa was Oct. 10, 2006.
- Entering the week, CSU-Pueblo ranked second in the nation in total team blocks, eighth in attacks, 13th in kills, 14th in assists and 15th in digs.
- ThunderWolves statistical leaders:
- Kills: 253 - Mariangel Perez (So., Catia La Mar, Venezuela)
- Assists: 359 – Alex Sansavera (R-Jr., San Antonio, Texas)
- Digs: 293 – Katie Burnett (So., Austin, Texas)
- Blocks: 81 – Alex Winkler
A look at Adams State
- The Grizzlies are an even 8-8 on the season and 3-5 in RMAC play. Adams State sits in ninth place in the league standings. The Grizzlies will host Western State, Friday, before welcoming the Pack into town, Saturday.
- Adams State is 2-1 at Plachy Hall this season, defeating Chadron State College, 3-0, and University of Colorado Colorado Springs, 3-0, while falling to Metro State University of Denver, 3-2.
- The Grizzlies have lost five out of their last six matches.
- The statistical leaders for Adams State are: Lindsey Stindt (211 kills), Katelyn Schwartz (559 assists), Gabrielle Timmen (195 digs) and Mallory Grimsrud (67 blocks).
The ThunderWolves trek to Lakewood, Colo. to face Colorado Christian University, Tuesday at 7 p.m.
- 30 -
As a member of the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference, Colorado State University – Pueblo competes in 22 varsity sports in NCAA Division II intercollegiate athletics.