PUEBLO, Colo. (October 13, 2014) – The Colorado State University-Pueblo volleyball team (11-8, 5-5 RMAC) continues its seven-match road-trip, Tuesday with a contest versus the Colorado Christian University Cougars in Lakewood, Colo. Match time is scheduled for 7 p.m. at the CCU Event Center.
CSU-Pueblo News and Notes
- The ThunderWolves are 11-8 overall on the season, including a 5-5 record in Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference matches.
- CSU-Pueblo has won four out of its last six contests.
- The Pack are bunched up in a four-way tie for fifth in the conference standings with Colorado Christian, University of Colorado Colorado Springs and Adams State University.
- Last time out, CSU-Pueblo suffered its second sweep of the season, falling at Adams Sate, 3-0, Saturday.
- Tuesday's matchup with the Cougars will be the second match in a string of seven consecutive road contests. The Pack will not play at home again until Oct. 31.
- The ThunderWolves are 4-4 in contests played away from Massari Arena.
- The last time CSU-Pueblo and Colorado Christian faced each other the Cougars earned a 3-0 sweep, Oct. 11, 2013 in Pueblo.
- One of the Pack's biggest strengths this season has been on the defensive side of the net. The ThunderWolves are fifth in the nation in total team blocks with 183. Alex Winkler (So., Colorado Springs, Colo.) and Oni Lattin (Jr., Houston, Texas) headline the team's blocking unit with 84 and 82 blocks, respectively.
- CSU-Pueblo has out blocked its opponents in eight out of 10 RMAC contests and 12 out of 19 matches overall.
- ThunderWolves statistical leaders:
- Kills: 265 - Mariangel Perez (So., Catia La Mar, Venezuela)
- Assists: 375 – Alex Sansavera (R-Jr., San Antonio, Texas)
- Digs: 299 – Katie Burnett (So., Austin, Texas)
- Blocks: 84 – Alex Winkler
- ThunderWolves among RMAC statistical leaders:
- Kills: Mariangel Perez (2nd/265)
- Assists: Alex Sansavera (9th/375)
- Digs: Katie Burnett (6th/299)
- Blocks: Alex Winkler (1st/84), Oni Lattin (2nd/82)
- ThunderWolves among NCAA statistical leaders:
- Kills: Mariangel Perez (22nd/265)
- Blocks: Alex Winkler (8th/84), Oni Lattin (11th/82)
A look at Colorado Christian
- The Cougars have an 11-8 overall record and a 5-5 ledger in RMAC play.
- With its 5-5 conference record, Colorado Christian is in a four-way tie for fifth in the RMAC standings with CSU-Pueblo, UCCS and Adams State.
- In its last contest, Colorado Christian swept UCCS, snapping a four-match winless streak.
- The Cougars are 3-2 in home matches this season.
- Preseason RMAC Offensive Player of the Year Taylor Sturms paces the Cougars in kills (232) and digs (292). Jordan Kessler has a team-best 553 assists, while Angela Jurek tops the squad in blocks with 75.
The ThunderWolves travel to New Mexico for a pair of weekend RMAC matches. The Pack face Western New Mexico University, Friday, before squaring off against New Mexico Highlands University, Saturday. Both contests are scheduled to begin at 7 p.m.
- 30 -
As a member of the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference, Colorado State University – Pueblo competes in 22 varsity sports in NCAA Division II intercollegiate athletics.