PUEBLO, Colo. (September 10, 2015) – After opening their 2015 season on the road at the BritKare Lady Buff Classic, the Colorado State University-Pueblo women's volleyball will begin home play Sept. 11-12 when It co-hosts the Steel & Silver Classic with the University of Colorado Colorado Springs.
The Pack will face four squads in two days, beginning with Texas Woman's University and St. Edwards (Texas) University and then close out Saturday against Washburn University and Tarelton State (Texas.)
How to follow:
- The Pack walk into this week's tournament 1-3.
- Last season the squad held their ground at home inside Massari arena going 10-4.
- Through the first weekend of the season, the Pack are second in the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference in blocks per contest, defending 2.08 per set.
Individual Statistics leaders
- Oni Lattin (Sr., MB/RS, Houston, Texas) leads the ThunderWolves in blocks, sending back seven attack attempts and is third in kills with 36.
- Mariangel Perez (Jr., OH/RS, Catia, Venezuela) tops the team in kills with 58.
- Alex Sansavera (R-Sr., DS/S, San Antonio, Texas) sits as the leader in assists with 88.
Texas Woman's University
- The Pioneers enter the tournament 3-1, but are coming off a shutout loss against UCCS, losing 3-0.
- On the road and in neutral game sites during the 2014 season went 9-9.
- Makayla Mayfield leads the attack for the Pioneers with a team-high 42 kills
- Joey Redwine has 137 of the TWU's 159 assists
- Hilary Shaffer defends the net with a squad-high 10 blocks
Game time: Friday 2 p.m.
St. Edwards University
- For the Hilltoppers they come into the tournament with a 3-2 mark, winning their last two contests
- While STU have not traveled this season, they went 9-4 on the road in 2014 and finished with a 19-8 record on the season.
- Katie Martin brings the offense for the Hilltoppers, as she leads the team in kills with 58
- Jaclyn Billie leads the squad in assists, being accredited with 96 through five games.
- Madelyn Pashibin stands tall defending the net by herself with 17 of the team's 27 blocks
Game time: Friday 7 p.m.
(9) Washburn University (Kan.)
- Washburn is being welcomed into the tournament undefeated through four matches at 4-0.
- Will play two matches Friday against Adams State University and UCCS, before traveling south Saturday to the ThunderWolves inside Massari Arena.
- Leeanna Willer powers the Ichaboad's offense with 58 kills.
- Liz Powell dominates the squad in assists with 137 of their 197.
- Sarah Vicory has sent back 23 attack attempts, while Taylor Selk and Carley Swan both have 10 blocks apiece.
Game time: Saturday 11:30 a.m.
(RV) Tarleton State (Texas)
- The Texanns enter the Steel & Silver Classic 5-0, but will play three matches against Western Missouri State, UCCS, and Western State before facing the Pack.
- Finished last season 24-8, with six of their losses coming in road and neutral games.
- Hailey Roberts dominates the scoring load for TSU, as she has 100 kills.
- Chandler Gow is the primary setter, as she has 173 assists out of the team's 231.
- Kenya Alexander leads the squad in blocks with 19.
Game time: Saturday 7 p.m.
After the Steel & Silver Classic the ThunderWolves begin Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference play, as they'll hit the road for a three match stint against Western New Mexico University, New Mexico Highlands University, and Western State Colorado University.
- 30 -
As a member of the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference, Colorado State University – Pueblo competes in 22 varsity sports in NCAA Division II intercollegiate athletics.