PUEBLO, Colo. (November 7, 2016) – Colorado State University-Pueblo Volleyball will take the court at Massari Arena for the final time Tuesday night in a match with major Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference Tournament implications when Adams State University visits the Pueblo at 7 p.m.
The Pack and Grizzlies both enter Tuesday's match with a 9-7 conference record, which puts both teams in a three-way tie, with Western State Colorado University, for seventh placein the RMAC standings. Tuesday' s winner would have the inside track for the seventh spot, as both teams have beaten Western in conference matches this season. All three teams have two matches remaining.
ThunderWolves at a glance:
- CSU-Pueblo enters the week 11-14 overall. The Pack has won three straight matches.
- Senior, Katie Burnett (Austin, Texas) earned RMAC Defensive Player of the Week honors for the first time in her career. Burnett had 46 digs as she led the Pack to a sweep of New Mexico Highlands University and Westminster College. Burnett has an RMAC-best 346 digs in conference this year.
- Burnett ranks second in the RMAC with 5.41 digs/set in conference matches this season. She also ranks second with 0.40 service aces per set.
- Mariangel Perez (Sr., Catia La Mar, Venezuela) recorded her 42nd career double-double with 14 kills and 19 digs in the Pack's win over the Griffins. Perez has 10 or more digs in each of her last 11 matches. She ranks eighth in Pack history with 974 kills and ninth with 955 digs. Her 3.17 kills/set average ranks fifth all-time in school history.
- Morgan Wilkening (Sr., Fleming, Colo.) moved into fourth place at CSU-Pueblo with 1,076 career kills. Wilkening hit .340 with 25 kills as the Pack won both their matches last week.
- Burnett sits 15 digs shy of the Pack's single-season digs record, with 469 digs. The senior is also two service aces away from tying the single-season aces record.
- Senior Megan Schultz (Colorado Springs, Colorado) had 10 kills in each of her two matches last week. Schultz leads the Pack with 0.92 blocks per set, 10th most in the RMAC.
Scouting Adams State:
- The Grizzlies hold a 14-11 record overall. They lost each of their last two matches.
- Adams State leads the all-time series 39-38. The Grizzlies have won both of the head-to-head meetings this season.
- Mallory Grimsrud leads the Grizzlies offensive attack. Grimsrud ranks eighth in the RMAC with a .293 hitting percentage. Her 3.53 kills/set ranks seventh. She also ranks fourth in the RMAC with 1.14 blocks per set.
- Katelyn Schwartz ranks eighth in the RMAC with 8.57 assists per set. Schwartz had 32 assists in her first meeting with the Pack, but only had five in the second meeting.
- The Grizzlies are also the most blocked team in the conference. Opponents average 2.29 rejections per set against the Grizzlies. Adams State's 13.64 digs/set puts them second to last in the RMAC.
Tuesday's match will be the final time Burnett, Wilkening,and Tanja Ranilovic (Sr., Belgrade, Serbia) take the court at Massari Arena.
- 30 –
As a member of the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference, Colorado State University – Pueblo competes in 22 varsity sports in NCAA Division II intercollegiate athletics